White pride advocates claim that there is a cultural double standard in which only certain ethnic groups are permitted to openly express pride in their heritage, and that white pride is not inherently racist, being roughly analogous to positions such as black pride or gay pride.
Carol M. Swain and Russell Nieli state that the white pride movement is a relatively new phenomenon in the United States, arguing that over the course of the 1990s, "a new white pride, white protest, and white consciousness movement has developed in America". They identify three contributing factors: an immigrant influx during the 1980s and 1990s, resentment over affirmative action policies, and the growth of the Internet as a tool for the expression and mobilization of grievances.
Sociologists Betty A. Dobratz and Stephanie L Shanks-Meile state that "White Power! White Pride!" is "a much-used chant of white separatist movement supporters". According to Joseph T. Roy of the Southern Poverty Law Center, white supremacists often circulate material on the Internet and elsewhere that "portrays the groups not as haters, but as simple white pride civic groups concerned with social ills".
The slogan "White Pride, World Wide" appears in the logo of Stormfront, a website owned and operated by Don Black, who was formerly a Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. The North Georgia White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan describe themselves as "a patriotic, White Christian revival movement dedicated to preserving the maintenance of White Pride and the rights of the White Race".
Philosopher David Ingram argues that "affirming 'black pride' is not equivalent to affirming 'white pride,' since the former—unlike the latter—is a defensive strategy aimed at rectifying a negative stereotype". By contrast, then, "affirmations of white pride—however thinly cloaked as affirmations of ethnic pride—serve to mask and perpetuate white privilege".
Critics have argued that ideas such as white pride exist merely to provide a clean public face for white supremacy. They claim that the unstated goal of the white nationalist movement is to appeal to a larger audience, and that most white nationalist groups promote white separatism and racial violence.
- ↑ "Neo-Nazi group and anti-racism protesters clash in Calgary". The Star (Toronto). March 21, 2009. http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/606290.
- ↑ http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/03/22/8842176-sun.html
- ↑ "Speech by National Rifle Association First Vice President Charlton Heston Delivered at the Free Congress Foundation's 20th Anniversary Gala". National Rifle Association Information. Violence Policy Center. 1997-12-07. http://www.vpc.org/nrainfo/speech.html. Retrieved 2008-06-13.
- ↑ Moritz, Justin J. (August 3, 2005), "Feds Rule “White Pride” is “Offensive” and “Immoral”", American Renaissance, http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2005/08/feds_rule_white.php, retrieved 2008-05-22.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 *Swain, Carol M.; Nieli, Russell (2003), Contemporary Voices of White Nationalism in America, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0521016932 p. 5.
- ↑ Template:Harvnb
- ↑ Roy, Joseph T. (September 14, 1999), "Statement of Joseph T. Roy, Sr. before the Senate Judiciary Committee", U.S. Senate Committee on The Judiciary, archived from the original on 2008-05-20, http://web.archive.org/web/20080520230025/http://judiciary.senate.gov/oldsite/91499jtr.htm, retrieved 2008-05-22
- ↑ Template:Harvnb
- ↑ Template:Harvnb
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Ingram, David (2004), Rights, Democracy, and Fulfillment in the Era of Identity Politics: Principled Compromises in a Compromised World, Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, ISBN 0742533484 page 55.
- ↑ Swain, Carol M. (2002), The New White Nationalism in America: Its Challenge to Integration, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 16, ISBN 0521808863 This may perhaps be the goal of the "white separatist" movement, but the term white pride must only be accepted to acknowledge the pride a white person is rarely allowed to feel based on their culture and upbringing because of the oppression now legally allowed by most minority groups.
- Dobratz, Betty A.; Shanks-Meile, Stephanie L. (2001), The White Separatist Movement in the United States: White Power, White Pride, Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, ISBN 0801865379.
- Faulk, Kent (October 19, 1997), "White Supremacist Spreads Views over the Internet", The Birmingham News.
- Hilliard, Robert L.; Keith, Michael C. (1999), Waves of Rancor: Tuning in the Radical Right, Amonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, ISBN 978-0765601315.
- Ingram, David (2004), Rights, Democracy, and Fulfillment in the Era of Identity Politics: Principled Compromises in a Compromised World, Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, ISBN 0742533484.
- Swain, Carol M.; Nieli, Russell (2003), Contemporary Voices of White Nationalism in America, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0521016932.
- White Pride World Wide Day
- Feds Rule “White Pride” is “Offensive” and “Immoral” from American Renaissance