Early life and careerEdit
In 1986, he made the low budget horror film Something in the Basement which attracted the attention of filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola, who in turn helped Salva finance his first feature-length film, Clownhouse (1989), and many subsequent films.
While directing Clownhouse, Salva, then 29, molested one of the film's actors, 12-year-old Nathan Forrest Winters. The sexual acts were videotaped by Salva, who pleaded guilty to one count of lewd and lascivious conduct, one count of oral copulation with a person under 14, and three counts of procuring child pornography. Salva was sentenced to three years in prison. He served 15 months of the sentence before being paroled, and has registered as a sex offender.
Career after release from prisonEdit
After being released from prison, Salva had a series of odd jobs, while trying to get hired as a film director, living off some financial support given to him by Coppola.
Seven years after Clownhouse, Salva made another film, The Nature of the Beast. In 1995, he directed the Disney-financed Powder. The subsequent media coverage of Salva's criminal history, and speculation as to why Disney would hire a convicted sex offender, ensured that Salva would not make another film until 1999's Rites of Passage.
In 2006, he directed Peaceful Warrior, which opened up to mixed reviews. Salva has plans to direct Rosewood Lane in 2010, a thriller starring Gina Philips and Ray Wise, and Jeepers Creepers 3: Cathedral, the third film in the popular Jeepers Creepers franchise.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "California Registered Sex Offender Profile - Victor Salva". Megan's Law - California Sex Offender Registry. http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/cgi/prosoma.dll?searchby=offender&id=1869408346188. Retrieved February 10, 2010.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Victor Salva's horror stories
- ↑ Fear the Paperboy(!) on Rosewood Lane
- Victor Salva at the Internet Movie Database
- Media reports archive related to the director's sexual molestation of a child actor and his films Powder and Jeepers Creepers
- Victor Salva's entry at Florida Sex Offender Registry