|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
The sexual abuse scandal in Palm Beach diocese is a significant episode in the series of Catholic sex abuse cases in the United States and Ireland.
Joseph Symons affairEdit
Anthony O'Connell affairEdit
Symons' successor Anthony O'Connell resigned in 2002 after admitting to molesting an underage seminarian. When faced with the allegation, O'Connell held a press conference to admit his wrongdoing and publicly apologized to the man.
Role of Bishop Thomas DailyEdit
In 2002, Rev. Thomas Daily (former Bishop of Palm Beach) was criticized for his past involvement in cases of priests accused of sexual abuse in the Archdiocese of Boston. He has acknowledged his "profound regret" over some of his decisions in the Boston Archdiocese.
Bishop O'Malley intervenesEdit
After serving in Fall River for ten years, Sean O'Malley was appointed bishop of Palm Beach in Florida, on September 3, 2002. He was installed on the following October 19. He served the Diocese of Palm Beach for less than a year before being appointed to return to Massachusetts to succeed Cardinal Bernard Law in Boston.
Pastoral work of Gerald BarbaritoEdit
Bishop Gerald Barbarito has repeatedly pledged to remove from the ministry any priests found to have abused a child and to help abuse victims in any way the Church can, but he has seen no need to publicly name accused priests.
- ↑ Palm Beach bishop admits sex abuse
- ↑ Scandal’s fallout still settling in Palm Beach
- ↑ Daniel J. Wakin (2003-08-03). "Brooklyn Bishop Ending Tenure Amid Storm Over Scandal". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C06E1DA133EF931A3575BC0A9659C8B63. Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Pam Belluck (2002-03-23). "In Court Files, How Bishop Handled a Problem Priest". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D07E1DE173BF930A15750C0A9649C8B63. Retrieved 2008-02-12.
- ↑ Scandal-Torn Palm Beach Diocese Gets Bishop
- ↑ Massachusetts bishop named to lead scandal-plagued Palm Beach Diocese
- ↑ New Palm Beach Bishop Won't Identify Any Priests Accused of Abuse