|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
|This article needs additional citations for verification.|
Please help improve this article by adding reliable references. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (March 2009)
Template:Infobox non-profit The London-based charity Kidscape was established in 1985 by child psychologist Michele Elliott. Its focus is on children’s safety, with an emphasis on the prevention of harm by equipping children with techniques and mindsets that help them stay safe.
After a 1984-1986 survey of 4000 children, their parents and teachers, it was apparent that the main threat to children came from people known to them - bullies, friends, or family members. Kidscape's Child Protection programmes are now taught UK-wide in thousands of schools and community groups. Kidscape is identified with the effort to quell bullying, working with children from 9-15.
Kidscape's work falls into five main categories:
- A helpline for parents of bullied or endangered children
- A nationwide training programme in all aspects of anti-bullying and child protection work for children, teachers and other professionals
- Free workshops for bullied children that teach them how to stop the bullying; their parents also learn and are supported in their own session
- A range of publications on bullying and general child safety advice..
- An extensive website with information and advice
Work with external organisationsEdit
Kidscape is a frequent commentator in the media on bullying and child protection issues. Michele Elliott has represented Kidscape on advisory boards, including the Toy Council, and consults and advises, such as the House of Commons Education and Skills Committee on the effects of bullying. Kidscape is a member of the Anti-bullying Alliance.
- In 1998 Smith Kline Beecham awarded Kidscape an Impact Award recognising Kidscape's work in improving community health.
- In September 2000, Kidscape was named UK Charity of the Year in the first Charity Times awards.
- In 2007 Kidscape was Highly Commended in the 2007 Charity Awards Children and Youth category and Michele Elliott was Highly Commended in the Charity Principal of the Year category.
- In the New Year Honours 2008, Michele Elliott was awarded an OBE by HM the Queen in recognition of her services to children.