Kevin Alfred Strom|
1956 (age 61–62)
Anchorage, Alaska, US
|Known for||racist, white separatist, child pornography, homophobic, and neo-Nazi activism|
|Spouse||Kirsten Kaiser (Divorced), Elisha Strom (since 2000)|
Kevin Alfred Strom (born 1956 in Anchorage, Alaska) is the former Managing Director of National Vanguard. Strom resigned from National Vanguard in July 2006. National Vanguard disbanded on March 14, 2007, and its website has been dormant since that time. In 2008 Strom pleaded guilty to possession of ten images of child pornography and was sentenced to 23 months in prison.
Kevin Alfred Strom was born in Anchorage, Alaska in 1956. It has been stated that Strom scored a perfect 1600 on the SAT exam, although the date in which he attained that feat is dubious; he has never attended a university and also has no college degree. Strom claims to have attended George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia without taking a degree.
Strom's marriage to his first wife, Kirsten Kaiser, produced three children. Since their marriage ended, Kaiser has spoken out about her life with Strom in several interviews. She has also written a book on her experiences with Strom and the National Alliance entitled The Bondage of Self (ISBN 0-9720705-5-9). Kaiser claimed that Strom was an extremely controlling husband who forced her to abstain from meat, forbade her to wear blue jeans, and predetermined her favorite music, Mozart. She has since disavowed the racist beliefs she held while in her two marriages with second husband Joseph McLaughlin and third with Strom.
In 1982, Kevin Alfred Strom became a member of the National Alliance, a group that has been described as antisemitic, racist, and neo-Nazi. In 1991, he founded and frequently delivered the American Dissident Voices shortwave and Internet radio broadcasts. In 1995, he founded and edited Free Speech magazine, published by the Alliance as an adjunct to the radio program. In early 2002, a few months before his death from cancer on July 23, the Alliance's founder, William Luther Pierce, named Strom editor of National Vanguard magazine and Media Director for the Alliance. Pierce also named Strom editor of the Alliance's monthly Bulletin.
During the weekend of April 16-17, 2005, Strom and several others were expelled from the National Alliance because of a dispute with the Alliance leadership. The expelled former Alliance members, led by Strom, promptly formed their own organization which they called National Vanguard. As he previously had done for the National Alliance, Strom again delivered weekly Internet radio broadcasts which he also called American Dissident Voices for National Vanguard, but they were often 1-3 weeks late. These broadcasts effectively ceased with his departure.
Strom was also briefly the managing editor of The Truth at Last newspaper during 2005. Several sources have described this tabloid as being heavily antisemitic and racist, often referring to blacks and African-Americans as an inferior race. Strom's boss at The Truth at Last, Edward Fields, is a former Grand Dragon of the New Order Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. and a close friend of British National Party leader Nick Griffin.
Strom was a close associate of University of Illinois Classics professor and nationalist writer Revilo P. Oliver, who has been described as "one of America's most notorious fascists" and, according to B'nai Brith Canada, was "a long time proponent of antisemitism". Strom was chosen by the Oliver estate to be the archivist and publisher of Oliver's papers after Oliver committed suicide in 1994. In 2002, Strom published Oliver's book, The Jewish Strategy.
Strom is a former broadcast engineer and holds Amateur radio license WB4AIO. Between 1983 and 1991, a pirate radio station named "Voice of Tomorrow" operated on both shortwave and mediumwave frequencies, broadcasting openly racist and Neo-Nazi material, presumably from the Lynchburg, Virginia area. According to Strom's ex-wife, Kirsten Kaiser, "Voice of Tomorrow" was operated by Strom himself.
Arrest, conviction, prison and releaseEdit
On January 4, 2007, Strom was arrested in Greene County, Virginia on charges of possession of child pornography and witness tampering. The Grand Jury later added the charges of receiving child pornography and of seeking to coerce a 10-year-old into a sexual relationship. At the October 2007 federal trial on charges of sexually coercing a 10-year old girl, and of witness intimidation, the judge threw out both charges due to lack of evidence of actual coercion. 
At the plea hearing on January 14, 2008, Strom pleaded guilty to possessing computer images of child pornography and was held at Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail while awaiting sentencing.  On 21 April 2008, he was sentenced to 23 months of incarceration, with credit for times served, and 15 years of supervised release. He was released from prison on September 3, 2008 and currently resides in Earlysville, Virginia.
- Kevin Strom's entry at Virginia Sex Offender Registry
Ham radio and the Liberty NetEdit
Strom continues to be licensed as a ham radio operator under callsign WB4AIO. He is one of the leaders, and generally considered the creator of a "social net" known as the Liberty Net that meets Sunday nights on frequency 3950kHz in the 80 meter band. For years, the net has discussed topics of white-supremacy, homophobia, and indecency against children. Many ham radio operators consider the net to be racist, hateful, and an extension of Strom's former work with National Vanguard. Despite attempts by some members of the amateur radio community through legal channels to remove the net from the airwaves, they continue to be on the air, discussing and promoting topics of a pro-hate and racism filled nature.
Stroms FCC Radio License Record: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=883545
- ↑ National Vanguard Statement on Kevin Alfred Strom
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "White nationalist sentenced in child porn case". Charlottesville Daily Progress. 2008-04-21. http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/crime/article/white_nationalist_sentenced_in_child_porn_case/20639/s. Retrieved 2008-04-23.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Finn, Scott (2003-05-07). "I feel these people raped my soul". The Charleston Gazette.
- ↑ http://www.kevinalfredstrom.com/about/
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "Inside the Alliance". Intelligence Report. Southern Poverty Law Center. Winter 1999. http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=359. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ Shelly, Jared (2006-01-26). "Anti-Semitic Material Pops Up in City, Suburbs". The Jewish Exponent. http://www.jewishexponent.com/ViewArticle.asp?ArtID=2208. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 "Leadership Shakeup at Neo-Nazi National Alliance Leads to Formation Of New Group". Anti-Defamation League. 2005-05-03. http://www.adl.org/PresRele/Extremism_72/4710_72.htm. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ Eskenazi, Joe (2003-04-18). "Free speech clashes with anti-Semitism in Santa Rosa". Jewish News Weekly. http://www.jewishsf.com/content/2-0-/module/displaystory/story_id/20164/edition_id/411/format/html/displaystory.html. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ Sutherland, John (2006-03-19). "Into the lists". London: Daily Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/03/12/bocovers.xml&sSheet=/arts/2006/03/12/bomain.html. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ "Factsheet on The National Alliance". The Prejudice Institute. 2005-07-13. http://www.prejudiceinstitute.org/NationalAllianceFS.html. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "Marketing Extremism". Intelligence Report (Southern Poverty Law Center). Winter 2005. http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=578. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ "2000 annual report: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". Stephen Roth Institute. http://www.tau.ac.il/Anti-Semitism/asw2000-1/usa.htm. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ Will, Michael (2000-11-18). "Racist newspaper condemns Kahn for Judaism, compares Barr to Jesus". Creative Loafing. http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2000-11-18/news_brief.html. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ "Edward Fields". Extremism in America. Anti-Defamation League. http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/Fields.asp?LEARN_Cat=Extremism&LEARN_SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=2&item=Fields. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ ADL: PEEL TEACHER FLAUNTS BOARD RULING
- ↑ Amazon Online Reader : Pirate Radio Stations: Tuning in to Underground Broadcasts in the Air and Online
- ↑ Hougan, Jim (Fall 1990). "The covert spectrum - pirate and secret broadcasting". Whole Earth Review. Archived from the original on 2012-06-29. http://archive.is/6ayM. Retrieved 2007-06-24.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/20000511063653/www.angelfire.com/mb/exband/pirate1.html
- ↑ Graff, Henry (2007-01-05). "Man Facing Pornography Charges". NBC 29. http://www.nbc29.com/global/story.asp?s=5894604. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- ↑ Seal, Rob (2007-10-04). "Charges dropped against white supremacist". The Daily Progress. Archived from the original on 2007-10-24. http://web.archive.org/web/20071024023336/http://www.dailyprogress.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP/MGArticle/CDP_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173352989886&path=!news. Retrieved 2009-07-15.
- ↑ Seal, Rob (2008-01-15). "Greene man guilty of child porn". Charlottesville Daily Progress. Archived from the original on 2008-02-19. http://web.archive.org/web/20080219024132/http://www.dailyprogress.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=CDP/MGArticle/CDP_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354215293&path=!news. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- ↑ "Neighborhood watch: Kiddie porn possessor to be released". The Hook (newspaper). September 2, 2008. http://www.readthehook.com/blog/index.php/2008/09/02/neighborhood-watch-kiddie-porn-possessor-to-be-released/. Retrieved 2008-09-23.
- Kevin Strom's Homepage
- Kevin Strom Articles Archive
- Kevin Strom's Art of the West Gallery
- Charleston Gazette interview with Strom's ex-wife, Kirsten Helene Kaiser, about life with Strom
- Hook Weekly interview with Strom's current but estranged wife, Elisa Strom
- Southern Poverty Law Center profile of Kevin Strom
- SPLC article about life with Strom