Headlands School and Community Science College is a coeducational comprehensive school situated on Sewerby Road near the B1255, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The Associate Headteacher is Ms C Abbott. Following the resignation of the former headteacher Dr Steve Rogers, Scott Ratherham has been appointed as acting headteacher. The school has nearly 1,500 pupils aged 11–18.
The Upper School was on Sewerby Road and the Lower School on St Alban Road adjacent to the south. The Lower School has now been built on by Barratt Developments with around 30 houses.
- A specialist school in science from 2002.
- Granted the Sportsmark award by Sport England in 2003.
In the report, of their February 2004 inspection, Ofsted described the school as "This is a good school which is working well to improve pupils’ learning. ... Very good leadership by the headteacher, and good leadership by key staff promotes learning.". They assessed the school as 'Good', point three on a seven point scale, and the sixth form as 'Very Good', point 2.
- Raise achievement and standards across the school.
- Eliminate all unsatisfactory teaching and improve the proportion of good teaching.
- Ensure systems to improve behaviour are effective and are applied consistently.
- Improve the effectiveness of leadership and management.
The effectiveness of the sixth form was considered satisfactory. Shortly after the inspection, the school formed a partnership with South Hunsley School to help it make progress. Subsequent monitoring visits by Ofsted in July 2008 and December 2008 judged that the school was making satisfactory progress towards meeting the areas for improvement. In October 2009 the school came out of special measures and given a rating of "satisfactory with good features" by Ofsted.
- Ian Blott, art teacher, was jailed in August 2006 for four years after a two-year affair with a girl pupil.
- Steven Edwards, science teacher, was jailed in February 2007 for four years and nine months for engaging in under-age sex with three girl pupils.
- Terry Mann, an IT teacher, was given a suspended prison sentence, in January 2008, after pleaded guilty to two charges of making indecent photographs of a child. He had earlier admitted sexual activity with a 15-year-old girl. These incidents occurred after he had moved to Withernsea High School.
- Lindsey Jane Collett, a 26-year-old teaching assistant, sent a male teenage pupil racy texts and photographs. In August 2008, she was sentenced to a six-month conditional discharge.
- Christopher Reen, a class supervisor and martial arts teacher, who replaced Lindsey Jane Collett, was jailed for 40 months, in March 2010, after admitting six counts of sexual activity with a girl under 16.
- ↑ DfES statistics, 2004
- ↑ "Headlands School and Community Science College", Specialist Schools and Academies Trust, 2006
- ↑ "Headlands School and Community Science College", Ofsted, 9 February 2004
- ↑ "The Headlands School and Community Science - Inspection Report", Ofsted, 20 May 2004
- ↑ http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_reports/display/(id)/96145
- ↑ http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_providers/full/(urn)/118085/(type)/8192/(typename)/Secondary%20schools
- ↑ "Headlands School out of special measures". thisishullandeastriding.co.uk. Mail News & Media Ltd. 19 October 2009. http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Headlands-School-special-measures/article-1430062-detail/article.html. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- ↑ "Married art teacher jailed for four years over pupil affair", Daily Mail, 18 August 2006
- ↑ "Shame of school's second sex jailing", Simon Bristow, Yorkshire Post, 9 February 2007
- ↑ "Teacher escapes jail over pupil sex affair", Bridlington Free Post, 24 January 2008
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "How FIVE teachers at ONE school all seduced pupils", Daily Mail, 12 February 2010.
- ↑ "Teaching assistant who had affair with pupil avoids jail", The Daily Telegraph, 22 August 2008.
- ↑ "Bridlington class supervisor jailed for sex with pupil", BBC News, 12 March 2010.